Tuesday, July 9, 2013

a smattering of early summer adventures

this is not quite the usual Bettie and Trevor adventure blog entry
(but in fact it is close enough)
I (Bettie) am using this blog entry as more of a smorgasbord of interesting, pretty and fun things that have either happened to us, or that we made happen so far this summer.
First and foremost, Trev and I are desperately trying to exercise and get back into some sort of human form one might call "shape".  In doing so, I found out that near my house are some quite pretty sites of the north side of the lake, and some old rusty automobiles!

northernmost end of quinsig

rusty old car!  these were the types of things that my dad would randomly pull over the car to painstakingly photograph while the three of us packed in the back seat of the Buick would protest in a very annoyed fashion.  Funny how things change.


I have this paranoid thought that just maybe I'll see this thing clunking around Worcester some day.
 Alright, on to other adventure things!  At this point in my training, holidays are actual holidays and not days-o-torture at the hospital.  This is great! Time to spend with friends.
this is so blurry, but the only one I had! my apologies. 

so much better.  fabulous necklace!
 We plunked down in the most happenin' spot in Worcester on July 3rd (go figure) and watched some very nice fireworks. Lovely evening overall.


oddly enough, fireworks move in the sky- tricky to get framed appropriately.



 Onwards!  I know, the speed is breakneck. the Adventures never ending!  We headed to the NH homestead to catch up with some dear old friends and of course awesome family :) This was especially special as Trev's mom was celebrating a birthday, and pie was to be had.
Bacchus, looking like he needs bifocals and some aricept.  Still loves Trevor best.

learning to use the timer! easier said than done.


 Ok, pop some dramamine and stick with me here- we then headed to the NY homestead to make some new friends, and once again awesome family :) This was especially special because these weirdo Texans made an appearance, and more pie was to be had.
Olive gave Sam some uncertain glances, until of course he rubbed her belly- then it was all over.  BFF for LIFE!

picture this- 6 full grown adults, one doggie, two inner tubes and one-made-for-two tube,treking across an open waterway in Lake George from shelving rock to a gathering of tiny islands approx 1/4 mile away, then coming back.  yep, that happened.

so many chips were eaten after our tubing trek.

Mom and Dad! our destination in the background.

Laura and Sam- the Texas faction in attendance.  

my parents are going to retire, buy a houseboat, and live on it.  Or so I think.  Look at how good they are at floating without a care in the world?

Olive tolerated her watery journey with dismay but patience.
 On our way home from Lake George we were able to stop by to see my Gram! She shared stories of when she and Grandpa were very young and trekking across the country themselves in a ramshackle vehicle (but loving every minute, or so I suspect :)


 While at the NY homestead, it seemed fitting to show Trevor the truly important sites of Schenectady (that is, those that made it into "The Place Beyond the Pines", obviously).  Ryan Gosling stalking session begins about here...

many an important event happened in this very spot

Trev doing his best "I'm Ryan Gosling and I'm sitting in a church at a christening I wasn't invited to".  Just kidding.  we are just politely sitting, I swear.

as a kid I was nearly certain these cherubs would fall on me during Sunday service...

big enough to rival  De Oude Kerk!
 Schenectady has a way of not changing anything, just about ever.  Schenectadians I have noted are a very sentimental people who just love looking back at old stuff that reminds them of themselves at some point in their life.  why not?

junior bootery!

Jay street- always a cause for celebration

this lil guy kept popping up in weird places

 Downtown Schenectady was having a farmers market, and to my great delight...Buddhapesto was in attendance! The buddhapesto guy and I then proceeded to photobomb this ladies hand.  I think she was ok with it.



no trip to Schenectady is complete without...


mom had a story about each one of these signs, along the lines of "oh yea, I went to high school with their kids, or I used to see him at my old job..." Schenectadians also know everyone and never forget.


a dear friend in high school always said her mom went here to get her hair done (I imagine a fabulous, flattering beehive)- my Mom says Mr. James was in his 90's and just retired this past year.  le sigh.

The army navy- completely boarded up.  Le sigh #2.  
 Lets try and make this educational- with a side step to the Schenectady Stockade.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stockade_Historic_District

Lawrence the Indian! why the white name and inappropriate epithet? I couldn't say.
classic stockade architecture- kind of dutch-like.


where mom and dad had their wedding reception, and still a respectable eatery.

 Heading back to the downtown region of Schenectady- there are a few obligatory sites as well! I forgot to photo-document Jumpin' Jacks, but for those of you keeping score...we went there too.
terrible photo of the ultimate icon of Schenectady. this guy has a  much better one here:http://www.flickr.com/photos/chuckthewriter/3581295898/

spent many an hour with my guitar here wasting away....not meant for the rock scene.  I wonder what my teacher Mike is up to now?

for the very observant, this is the brand of backpack that plays a critical role in that pines movie.  Also best backpack money can buy.  


site of robbery in that pinesy movie.

I'm not sure I've ever seen this before, but who wouldn't fall for that vintage scripty font?  This is not the best of neighborhoods but has spunk.  (also was basically where the motorcycle chase happened in that pines movie- Vale cemetery is a few blocks away)

After stuffing ourselves sick with Italian food (the only go-out-to-eat food worth anyone's time in Schenectady.  There is no place that I have found around the world that can do a veal anything better.  Nowhere.) we head home with happy but mixed hearts- lets hope this summer continues to bring more adventures.  

No comments:

Post a Comment